Friends of the Somme - Mid Ulster Branch  
ff
   Lieutenant John Carruth
Save as PDF
Dated added: 30/12/2015   Last updated: 30/12/2015
Personal Details
Regiment/Service: 6th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers (British Army)
Died: 10/10/1918 (Died of Wounds)
Age: 31
Summary      
John Carruth was son of Mr. E. Carruth, The Haven, Mallusk. He obtained his commission as an officer in September 1915 and was gazetted to the 6th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers on 15th October 1915. He served at the Battle of the Somme and was invalided home with trench fever. After his return to health, he was attached to the 1st Royal Irish Rifles on 13th August 1916. He acted as a bombing officer at the Curragh camp until November 1917 when he was posted to Palestine to join his regiment. On the night of 7th October 1918, the Battalion was attacked by a bombardment of shell fire and he was badly wounded and taken to No.50 Casualty Clearing Station and died of his wounds there on 10th October 1918.
Read more on Lieutenant John Carruth
 John Carruth
Cemetery Details
Cemetery: Tincourt New British Cemetery
  Tincourt, Somme
Grave Ref: Grave 8-B-13
CWGC Casualty 255254
Summary      
Tincourt is a village about 7 kilometres east of Peronne and Tincourt New British Cemetery is on the west side of the village, just off the D199.
Local Institute / Local Book Details

No Name Page
1 Queens University Belfast
2 Cookstown War Dead Book WW1 285
References and Links
No Link Reference Doc
1 1901 Census lists Caruth family 1901 Census lists John, as aged 14 at house 1 in Molusk (Grange of) (Ballysillon, Antrim)
2 1911 Census lists Caruth family 1911 Census does not list John at house 60 in Molusk, Grange of (Ballysillan, Antrim)
3 1911 Census lists V M L McVicar Lists John's future wife living at house 3 in Clarendon Street, Londonderry
4 Hyde Park (Mallusk) Presbyterians in the Great War Photo and memorial and family details
5 Queen’s University War Memorial 'Curruth, John, Lieutenant, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, attached Royal Irish Rifles'
6 Queens Univ. Book of Remembrance 1952 Page 13. Faculty of Medicine 1913-1916