Tunnelling Company, Australian Royal Engineers (Australian Army)
25/09/1919 (Died of Illness)
John Crilly was born in Pomeroy, County Tyrone. He was the son of James and Mary Crilly. John emigrated to Brisbane, Australia with his wife Esther. He had served for three years in the Australian Light Horse before enlisting for overseas service on 15th July 1916 at the age of 45. His attestation papers show that he was 5 feet six and three quarter inches tall. He was transferred to France on 15th October 1916. Due to sickness he was transferred from the Australian Base Hospital in Rouen, France to Middlesex County Hospital, England It was recommended that he was no longer fit for Military Service. He was sent home to Australia and upon arrival was transferred to hospital from early June 1917 until August 1918. He was discharged from the army on 13th July 1918 and died in hospital in Brisbane on 25th September 1918.
The Brisbane General Cemetery also known as Toowong Cemetery at Toowong, Brisbane was established in 1866 and formally opened in 1875. It is Queensland's largest cemetery and is located on forty-four hectares of land at the corner of Frederick Street and Mount Coot-tha Road approximately four and a half kilometres west of Brisbane.