Friends of the Somme - Mid Ulster Branch
ff
Casualties
No Mem Ref Service No Rank Name Regiment / Service Battalion Date Of Death
1 A-01 2nd Lieut Grubb, Donald James Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 5th Battalion 15/08/1915
2 A-02 16320 Corp Thom, William Nathaniel Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 9th Battalion 01/07/1916
3 A-03 3022 Pte. Bayne, Joseph Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 1st Battalion 01/10/1915
4 A-04 21979 Pte. Carson, Patrick Royal Dublin Fusiliers 6th Battalion 09/12/1915
5 A-05 44264 Pte. Curran, David George Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 1st Battalion 23/10/1918
6 A-06 10788 Pte. Long, William Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 5th Battalion 08/10/1918
7 B-01 10097 Pte. Lavery, James Sterling Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 2nd Battalion 21/10/1914
8 B-02 19304 Pte. McLernon, Alexander Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 9th Battalion 01/07/1916
9 B-03 9323 L/Corp Ross, Robert Royal Irish Rifles 1st Battalion 11/03/1915
10 B-04 16318 Pte. Smyth, James Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 9th Battalion 01/07/1916
11 B-05 27688 Pte. Taylor, Hugh Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 9th Battalion 01/07/1916
12 B-06 31184 Pte. Usher, George Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 2nd Battalion 16/10/1918
Location
Town : Cookstown
Latitude : 54.647114
Lontitude : -6.749798
Date Unveiled :
Gunning’s Factory Memorial was originally erected in the old Gunning’s Factory in Millburn which is now the site of a Tesco store. The Memorial has since being moved to the Royal British Legion, Cookstown. This is located at the junction of Burn Road and Park Avenue in central Cookstown

View Full Screen in Google Maps
Memorial History
At Millburn Works, north of the town centre, Gunning & Son had a power loom weaving factory for the manufacture of plain linens, diapers and damask, which contained over 300 looms.
In the late 19th century, when in full operation, the factory gave employment to over 500 people.
Gunnings also added a large beetling & finishing concern that was driven by steam power at Wellbrook.
The weaving mill at the top end of the town on the Mill Burn was founded by James Gunning. He bought land for a dwelling house in 1851 and built for himself the mansion now called Coolnafranky House.
Many Cookstown families were associated with the Gunnings, throughout the town.
On a normal day, a steady stream of workers could be seen winding their way north in time for the 8am horn. A large loud steam horn sounded an hour earlier to wake the town. Workers finished at 6pm.
Before the factory canteen was introduced, workers had to go home for lunch or sit by the pond outside. The two resident swans were called Muff and Dick.
Gunning’s Factory Memorial was originally erected after World War One in the Gunning’s Factory.
Mr Leeper, who was the last owner of the factory, lived at Wellbrook and coincidentally died on the day the factory closed on 31 August 1956.
The Memorial has since being moved to the Royal British Legion, Cookstown. This is located at the junction of Burn Road and Park Avenue in central Cookstown
The factory has since been demolished and is now the site of retail outlets.