Friends of the Somme - Mid Ulster Branch
ff
Location
Region : Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Latitude : 55.947904
Lontitude : -4.783507
CWGC Link : CWGC
Greenock Cemetery was established in 1846 as the expansion of the population of the town meant that the previous burial ground was inadequate. This particular site was chosen as it was secluded and not able to be viewed from the river. The Greenock Cemetery Company, formed in 1846, laid out the ground. Previous objections to the Council regarding the word 'necropolis' meant that this was always called a 'cemetery'. This church was established in 1589, and was situated close to Harland and Wolff shipyard. In 1917, the shipyard was extended and the church was dismantled and rebuilt in a different location. The tombstones were then moved to the Cemetery.

View Full Screen in Google Maps
Cookstown Casualties
No     Rank Name Service No Regiment / Service Date Of Death Grave Ref
1 L/Sgt Magee, Samuel 8285 East Lancashire Regiment 24/05/1917 Grave O-142
Cemetery History
The War graves which are of both Wars are scattered and a Cross of Sacrifice erected beside the main cemetery road. There are 95 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-18 war, 1 being an unidentified British soldier. There are a further 169 of the 1939-45 war, 2 being unidentified seamen of the Merchant Navy and 2 being unidentified sailors of the Royal Navy. There are 5 Foreign National war burials here.