Friends of the Somme - Mid Ulster Branch
ff
Location
Region : Carnoy, Albert, Somme, France
Latitude : 49.98211
Lontitude : 2.75440
CWGC Link : CWGC
Carnoy is a village just north of the D938 road from Albert to Peronne, about 10 kilometres east-south-east of Albert. The Military Cemetery is on the south side of the village, on the north side of the road to Maricourt

View Full Screen in Google Maps
Cookstown Casualties
No     Rank Name Service No Regiment / Service Date Of Death Grave Ref
1 Portrait Portrait Lieut Col Lenox-Conyngham, John Staples Molesworth Connaught Rangers 03/09/1916 Grave R-33
Cemetery History
The cemetery was begun in August, 1915, by the 2nd King's Own Scottish Borderers and the 2nd King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, when the village was immediately South of the British front line. It continued in use by troops holding this sector until July, 1916, when Field Ambulances came up and a camp was established on the higher ground North of the village.
It was closed in March, 1917. From March to August, 1918, it was in German hands, and German (and a few British) graves were made between the British graves and the entrance, and also in a German Cemetery alongside; but the German graves and the German Cemetery were removed in 1924.
There are now over 850, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 30 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 17 soldiers and one airman from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. The cemetery covers an area of 4,441 square metres and is enclosed by a red brick wall.