From Ieper town centre the Dikkebusseweg (N375), is reached via Elverdingsestraat, straight over a roundabout onto J.Capronstraat (for 30 metres), then left along M.Fochlaan. Immediately after the train station, the first right hand turning is the Dikkebusseweg. On reaching the village of Dikkebus, the cemetery is located on a street called Neerplaats. Turn left off the Dikkebusseweg into a small street called Kerkstraat and then 200 metres along this street, just beyond the village church, left into Neerplaats. The cemetery forms the southern side of this street.
The Old Military Cemetery was used as a front line cemetery in January, February and March 1915. The cemetery contains 46 First World War burials.
There are also ten burials from the Second World War, all dating from late May 1940 when the British Expeditionary Force withdrew ahead of the German advance. The cemetery was designed by J R Truelove.