Friends of the Somme - Mid Ulster Branch
ff
Location
Region : Aisne, Aisne, France
Latitude : 49.78146
Lontitude : 3.220196
CWGC Link : CWGC
Seraucourt-le-Grand is a village about 8 kilometres south west of St Quentin on the east side of the River Somme. From the main road, D930 St Quentin-Ham, take the left turning in the direction of Seraucourt-le-Grand at a village called Roupy. The Cemetery is signposted from the D32 road on arriving in the village itself.

View Full Screen in Google Maps
Cookstown Casualties
No     Rank Name Service No Regiment / Service Date Of Death Grave Ref
1 Pte. Barton, Patrick 11701 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 21/03/1918 Memorial 10
2 Pte. McCord, William 30745 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 29/03/1918 Grave 1-C-2
Cemetery History
II Corps passed through this neighbourhood on the Retreat from Mons in August, 1914, and it was lost in the early days of the Fifth Army retreat in March, 1918.
The Cemetery was made in 1920-26 by the concentration of graves from the battlefields and from other burial grounds, including:-
bullet ALAINCOURT GERMAN CEMETERY. BENAY MILITARY CEMETERY (3 British, February and March, 1918).
bullet CHEVRESIS-MONCEAU COMMUNAL CEMETERY (116 German; 40 French; 3 British, March and April, 1918).
bullet CILLY GERMAN CEMETERY (6 British, September, 1918).
bullet CLASTRES NEW FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY (14 British, February and March, 1918).
bullet CUGNY MILITARY CEMETERIES (Aisne, near Ham; the 2nd Royal Irish Rifles held out and were annihilated here 24 March 1918); used by British and Germans, it contained 88 British graves of February-June 1918.
bullet DURY CHURCHYARD (Aisne; 5 British, March 1918).
bullet ESSIGNY-LE-GRAND GERMAN CEMETERY (200 German and 99 British, March and April 1918, largely 36th (Ulster) Division).
bullet FONTAINE-NORTE DAME GERMAN CEMETERY (Aisne, 900 Germans; 12 French; 2 British, March 1918).
bullet FONTAINE-UTERTE COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (500 German; 23 British, March 1917-March 1918).
bullet GRUGIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY (2 British, January 1918).
bullet HIRSON COMMUNAL CEMETERY FRENCH and GERMAN EXTENSION (14 British, December 1917-October 1918).
bullet LESDINS FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY (4 British, September 1918).
bullet MARCY CHATEAU GERMAN CEMETERY (2 British, September 1918).
bullet MARBLES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (17 British, April-October 1918, besides French, Italian, Russian and Germans).
bullet MENNEVRET COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (312 British, August 1914, March, October and November 1918).
bullet MEZIERES-SUR-OISE GERMAN CEMETERY (200 German, 24 French, 1 British).
bullet MONCEAU-LES-LEUPS GERMAN CEMETERY (1 British, February 1918).
bullet MONCHY-LAGACHE CHURCHYARD (4 British, May 1917 and September 1918).
bullet NOUVION-ET-CATILLON COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (13 British, February-August 1918).
bullet ORIGNY-EN-THIERACHE COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (200 German; 13 French; one American; one British, October 1914).
bullet REMIGNY FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY (33 French; 13 British, February and March 1918).
bullet ST. MICHEL COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (Aisne; 132 German; 23 French; 6 British, August-October 1918).
bullet SEBONCOURT FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY (99 French; 1 British, October 1918).
bullet SERAUCOURT-LE-GRAND COMMUNAL CEMETERY FRENCH EXTENSION (13 British, February and March 1918).
bullet VERVINS GERMAN CEMETERY (390 German; 20 Italian; 15 French; 7 British, May-September 1918).
There are now over 2,000, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, almost two-thirds from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and special memorials are erected to two soldiers from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried here.
Other special memorials record the names of 32 United Kingdom soldiers, buried by the enemy, whose graves could not be found. In Plots III, IV and V are many graves, identified collectively but not individually, which are marked by headstones superscribed: "Buried near this spot". The British Cemetery covers an area of 4,732 square metres and is enclosed by a stone rubble wall.